Monday, September 3, 2018

Shine a Light


So. What I've been doing for the past few months is getting a divorce. Should be final in the next few weeks. It was not an easy decision, but it was by my choice, and I have no regrets.

Okay, enough of that. Suffice to say, major life changes have been going on.

Including moving to a new house! I started relocating in May; ZoĆ«, Fannie, Millie and I have been here since the middle of that month. Because we were selling our other house and some of the furniture was needed for staging, moving has been a drawn-out process.  But everything is here now, and I've been nesting like crazy, enjoying rediscovering many of my thrifting finds as I unpack and find places for them. Though when one downsizes by two-thirds, one cannot keep everything. I'll tell you about the moving sale later.

This week’s big excitement involved three particular bargains and my friend Lonna’s significant other, Dick. Extremely good-natured Dick, because when anyone mentions needing to get something fixed around the house Lonna is very likely to say, “Oh, Dick’ll do it.” And Dick did!

Anyone remember this vintage light fixture that I scored for fifty cents a while back? (It came from the same sale where I found the “astronaut” cat carrier for Millie.)  


Dick installed it in my half bath, over an estate sale mirror. (Took out the 90s medicine cabinet with the faux stained glass. Who needs a whole medicine cabinet in the half bath?) I painted the base and end caps with copper metallic spray paint, and I love it.


Out in the hallway, we took down the sort of early-American style ceiling fixture, and Dick put up the vintage light I found at the funeral home’s estate sale. 


Talk about a piece of history in the house! You know that everyone who crosses my threshold will have to listen to that story.


The building it came from had very cool midcentury metal cladding on the exterior. 


I really hated to see it go; it was unique…and the new Starbucks that went into that spot decidedly is not.

But the best upgrade to the house so far is in the foyer, where this thing used to live.


I wanted to replace it with the vintage Italian chandelier I was given a few weeks ago – the one exactly like this one for sale for $1850. The wiring had been cut off short when it was taken down. I paid about $50 to get it rewired, and turned it over to Dick to hang. 



I love it, it's just magnificent. Well worth that $1800 I didn’t spend!

It's wonderful to have beautiful things to live with, especially when they don’t cost an arm and a leg. But even better are the friends I have both here and elsewhere. I'm sending lots of gratitude to them all – with an extra dollop for Dick!



22 comments:

  1. I like your new touches you added to your new home, that chandelier light is handsome. I hope your divorce is the start of good new things for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for the punch line.... I'm sorry to hear of your divorce but am glad you are happy. Change at this age is... change. At moments difficult and other times elating.
    Love your new lighting! Here's to the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elation is definitely outweighing the difficulties!Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry for the divorce but wish you great thrifting in the future and much joy
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some changes while hard are good. You sound happy and that is what counts. I love the changes you are making in your new home. Adding such great vintage fixtures makes a huge difference. Great thrifty finds also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been good, and will be fun to have a whole new place that I can do anything I want with.

      Delete
  5. Gland you're back & sounding re-energized! Hope you'll share more pics of your new place as your cozy in! Wishing you happy days ahead & lots of great thrifty finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to your future...wishing you well. Have missed your posts and look forward to seeing the new "nest" Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you much happiness and peace as you make some important life changes.
    It's always exciting to be able to decorate some new digs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was getting worried about you. I keep track of what you have been doing through your posts. Ran into Jan Tapley at Jill Patterson’s retirement and she said you were downsizing, but nothing about your divorce. It’s your time now to enjoy your life. Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Change is never easy, but you sound like you are doing well. Looking forward to seeing you thrift for your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how much easier change is when you initiate it yourself!

      Delete
  10. Jealous of your gorgeous light! Looks like a lovely home. Good for you,find yourhappiness. Divorce, though stressful, can be a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so enjoying being in this house with my pets...and my cool lights!!

      Delete
  11. Sorry to hear you're dealing with a divorce, but glad you are so happy! I got divorced once. Best decision I ever made. :-) Hope yours makes you as happy as mine did! Your new house is looking great with all your fun thrifty finds. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living well truly is the best revenge! Glad to hear from another happy divorcee!

      Delete
  12. Can’t wait to see your garden once it is finished.

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover