Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A Good Omen for the New Year!



One of the folks whose blog I read is Kelly Cline, an amazing quilter. I think I first found her site because she does a lot of quilting using vintage textiles, and as you may know those things follow me home from sales like little lost puppies.

So Sunday evening a new post on her blog popped up on my feed reader entitled "We Have a Ruler Winner!" You can imagine my surprise as I began to read:
CONGRATULATIONS TO Queen of Fifty Cents!!! I don’t know your name, or who you are, but you are the winner and I love your thrifty blog! 
Seems like a good omen for a creative year to win a set of quilting rulers before the first week has passed.


The only slight hiccup is that these are used for free motion quilting, which I have not (yet!) done. But what better motivation to learn, right? I'll keep you posted on my free motion adventures once they begin.

Meanwhile, here's a piece I just finished, made in large part as a learning exercise. I used some of the upholstery sample fabrics I picked up in September for the rooster. In fact all of the fabric, thread and batting came from other people's driveways.


I tried out some of the techniques from the Craftsy class I've been watching called Stupendous Stitching.  I learned how to do the edge binding using a felling foot, and the hanging sleeve on the back with the blindstitch foot that came with my Bernina I found on Craigslist. A total thrifting project!




13 comments:

  1. How great is that! I don't quilt but love to look at quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the same page when it comes to vintage textiles. I get such a kick out of finding 30+ year old fabric as evidenced by the dated selvages.
    I have been quilting for over three years and began FMQing but came to hate it. It is hard on my wrists and is so labor intensive. Bad enough piecing the stuff, then you have to quilt it?
    Perhaps you will have a different experience - it is worth a try. One blogger who takes Free Motion Quilting to a new level, Leah Day. She has a blog and posts YouTube videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute!! Package is on it's way ;) Hope you'll give them a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rooster is fab. Such a clever use of fabric. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a winner! Look at that rooster! I'm a quilter, too, but I haven't done much lately except make a few mug rugs! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love little projects that you can actually complete in a timely manner!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your win! I love your use of fabrics for the rooster. Would like to see some close-ups of your stitches. Can’t wait to see what you do with the rulers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow so beautiful. I am very proud to you. That is how my eldest used to say this when she was 3.

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover