Sunday, April 7, 2019

Stormy Weather


The weather had it in for me on Friday.

I have no idea why. I certainly haven’t done anything to it! I try not to complain (too much) when the lovely sunshine goes away and it rains some more. And rains. And RAINS!

But Friday the weather was just being a tease. My friend Toni came along with me to check out the 5 or 6 sales that looked reasonable and not too far away. We started off in sunshine. Reached the first sale, opened the car door – and it began to pour. Hustle inside, to find a moving sale where everything was massively overpriced. I'm talking pottery at gallery prices. Adding insult to injury, one room was full of very, um, fragrant (I want to say smelly, but some people like this stuff!) candles and so-called air fresheners. I could hardly breath. Back through the rain to the car.

Off to sale number two. Sun came out. Reached the sale, got out of car – rain poured. (I swear I'm not making this up.) This was an estate sale for a lady whose taste in decor was very frilly. Nothing was priced, and instead of candle smells we got musty-house-that-hasn’t-had-fresh-air-in-years. Back through the rain to the car.

And the whole morning was like that. Every single time we got out of the car, the shining sun disappeared and it rained. It was uncanny. I did finally find a couple of things to bring home though (whew!). Toni slightly raised an eyebrow when I was looking through some kitchen linens (she’s seen my supply) but that did not deter me from these two lovelies.


Both brand new, and fifty cents each. And how appropriate to find towels. I could dry my hair a bit between rain storms!


Our last stop was the most high-end of the morning, so I was surprised to find something I wanted. But how could I resist this upcycled tea kettle bird?

He weighs a ton, must be filled with cement or something. And those big feet keep him well balanced. I won’t have to worry about this guy blowing away.


And as waterlogged as I am from being rained on so many times, I won’t blow away either!


6 comments:

  1. Well at least you got to skip your personal shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the items!! Those towels are so cute. The teapot bird is so quirky and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to find a special place in the yard for my kettle bird. If it ever stops raining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to that same sale (19th?) and I saw the pottery was pretty expensive ($85 for a bowl? I don't know WHO created it!) but K did get 2 air conditioners for a low price (went in the afternoon & think they wanted them out of there) and I found a red ramekin for 75 cents. And I hated that candle! The scent adhered to my coat and I had to smell it all the way home until I went for a walk to air it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that smell in my nose for half the morning! Sounds like you two found the only actual bargains in the place. Well done!

      Delete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover