Saturday, May 28, 2011

Holiday Rambles

I try always to have low expectations when I go garaging on holiday weekends. No need to court disappointment! But for a holiday weekend, I did okay today. Very first stop was a sale presided over by a young woman who looked like Drew Barrymore. She told me she absolutely loves having yard sales and she was bouncing around with the energy of a 5 year old. And she’s the mother of preschool twins and a 10-month-old baby. Sheesh. I want to start having whatever she has for breakfast!

Met a couple of pets…

IMG_0968 IMG_0964

cute little dog, and a kitty with his head on upside down. Actually, kitty was trying to be cool and sat down with his back to me…and then couldn't resist checking on what I was doing.

Had a funny conversation with a guy about my age, maybe a bit older. He was showing me all the brand new things he was selling, all Christmas gifts from his son. “Why would he think I would ever use a pasta extruder?” he said, shaking his head. Even sillier was the large can opening machine that looked like it takes two hands to lift the lever so you can insert your can. It would take up a good foot or more of counter space. I suggested he tell his son that something like a gift card would be nice, or making a donation in dad’s name to some good cause. Apparently neither of these ideas had ever occurred before. Then I asked him what they give the son for gifts, and he said, “Uh…gift cards.” So I suggested that perhaps rather than exchange gift cards they could just mutually decide to forgo the gift giving. You should have seen the look of relief on his face at this thought!

There were even items for sale with great signage.

IMG_0970IMG_0971 

In spite of it being a holiday weekend, I still managed to spend $4.60. Some of it went for a LARGE bag o’ Legos.

 IMG_0973IMG_0972

My library system has been collecting Legos to use in programs. With 34 branches to share the collection, I figure we can’t have too many. So this will be my contribution to the cause.

My husband mentioned he needed a container for the cough drops he always has on hand. And this heavy glass container is perfect.

 IMG_0990

This hinged chrome frame will hold a couple of vintage photos of my hubs and his brother as little kids.

IMG_0986

Have no idea if this DVD will be interesting, but I can gamble fifty cents.

 IMG_0984

I read on someone’s blog recently that backpacks can be good eBay items, and that Jansport is a good brand. So I thought I’d test it with this. Probably should wait till back-to-school shopping starts.

IMG_0983

I’m sure that hearts, stars and skulls & crossbones will appeal to someone!

And I picked up half a dozen cloth napkins that I think will be fun with the striped tablecloth I bought last summer.

IMG_0982

I had Friday off work and spent part of the day proving that sometimes it pays to buy stuff on driveways without knowing exactly what you’ll use it for. My first project involved the large stash of scrapbooking paper I picked up exactly two years ago.

papers sm

I don’t scrapbook and have no intention of ever doing so, but I loved all the colors and designs and figured paper would come in handy. And I’ve used it for several things, but still have a lot left. I noticed the other day that this navy blue tin from Ikea that I use for a trash can in my bathroom had gotten rather beat up on the inside, though the outside is fine.

IMG_0992

So a couple of pieces of scrapbook paper and some white glue, and voila, it’s nice again.

IMG_0993

Nice enough for trash, anyway! Then I tackled another project I’ve been thinking about. I keep all my pins and earrings inside this cabinet, which had cross stitch fabric tacked inside to hang stuff from.

IMG_0975

I’ve been reading in other people’s blogs about covering foam core with fabric and framing it to display jewelry. So I decided to do that inside my cabinet. I had a piece of foam core that I picked up at a yard sale at least 5 years ago, and some gold silk fabric that I’ve had stashed since September, 2006. I cut foam core to fit snugly in the spaces inside, covered it with fabric that I taped to the back, and stretched a narrow ribbon across to hold dangly earring and stick pins. The ribbon is the last of a spool I paid a quarter for two years ago.

  IMG_0976

I think it turned out rather fun!

IMG_0977

IMG_0978

Hmmm, getting quite a collection of pins there! While I was arranging everything back into the cabinet, I  noticed this piece, a gift from someone I used to work with, actually has a maker’s mark under the tarnish.

IMG_0979

I’ve always thought it was probably from the 60s, but it turns out it’s a Georg Jensen piece, and he died in the 30s so it’s a lot older than I thought. And if sales on eBay are any indication a lot more valuable than I realized!

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't able to yard sale today; there weren't too many around here, so I hope I didn't miss too much. However, I did hit the thrifts this week to make up for not being able to go today.

    I am so glad you have proven the theory that "one day I will need/use this" for something. Your scrapbook paper and fabric certainly prove it is worth hanging on to certain items. And I love that little jewelry cabinet!

    Great buy on the legos! A treat for your library system for sure.
    Hope you have a lovely Memorial Day weekend,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAUUUGHHHH!!!More Legos!!!!
    Actually that looks like a pretty good haul. How much did you end up paying for it? figure out how much per pound....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pin - lucky you to have a Jensen piece! What a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will like the DVD. It is a story that is close to everyone's heart here in El Paso.
    I look forward to reading your blog every week. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a pretty good day! I love those napkins! how cute! Looks like you got a real deal with that lego! People try to sell the stuff for nearly what the paid new sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover