Sunday, May 28, 2017

Shirt-Bunnies and Craft Supplies

The four ladies in the rug hooking room at the textile museum were in the middle of a conversation about service animals and exactly what is considered one. (KK & I were in Tillamook and had already roamed through the quilt exhibit and the weaving room. I was eavesdropping obviously enjoying listening in. 

One lady said it was amazing what some people claim as service animals, and another exclaimed, “When I worked at the visitor center at the cheese factory, people would try to sneak anything in. One day this woman came in with a big rabbit inside her shirt. Guess she thought I wouldn’t notice.”

Excuse me, madam, is that a bunny in your shirt or are you just glad to see me?

We were in Tillamook Friday on our way home from a few days at the beach, at my SIL’s family beach house. (Linda, you ARE the best!) Three women lazing around and eating the fabulous food we all brought…even better than garaging! We were the complete tourists and visited a peony garden on our way to the coast. Gorgeous flowers! It was decided that the jacket I was wearing depicts peonies instead of poppies as I had assumed. 



Whoever planned this garden really knew how to combine plants and colors. 





Of course my favorite peony was one that must be rare – a single bush will set you back $204. Sheesh!  



The blooming fields were beautiful


as was the field of red clover being grown for seed next to the parking area.



I’m so used to garaging on Fridays that I felt a bit off-kilter this week, not being able to do that. But on my way to the dog park Saturday morning I noticed a sign pointing to a sale in my neighborhood. I heaved a sigh of relief when I headed to that one.

I think I'm more addicted to the fun of poking through other people’s stuff than the stuff itself.

The Craigslist ad mentioned furniture and kid stuff which are not on my wanted list, but one of the teen daughters (according to her mother) has recently moved on from her expensive hobby of crafting greeting cards to the expensive hobby of photography. I reaped the benefit. For a total of $7 I brought home a kit with 3 dozen Spectrum Noir dual-tip pens, 



a bunch of beads including green Czech glass ones 



some jewelry findings 



various cording materials 



and a carved wooden pendant. (I'm trying to broaden my thinking on ways to upcycle fabric.) 



Poking around in other people’s stuff can be worthwhile. Of course any burglar would tell you that, but they face jail time and all I need is to keep a little cash on hand!

10 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of the risque name of a plant nursery near my sister's home in New Jersey: Peony's Envy. Truly.
    See: https://www.peonysenvy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbling onto someone's craft stuff is really nice. For me, it was grab a chair and go through all of it in 90° weather with the sun on my back! Worth every bit of the 45 minutes I spent! Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I don't buy anything, oh how I love going through other people's stuff!

      Delete
  3. "Shirt bunnies"!!! Love it!!! I've had my "shirt bunnies" since I was about twelve! Thank you for that laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I am sorry I have been a stranger. I am trying to get back in the blogging world. I've missed you! I am glad you got some great supplies at a great price. We need to catch up soon. Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, I've missed you! Hope you'll post some of your gorgeous tablescapes soon!

      Delete
  5. At first I read your craft find as $71. I almost spit out my coffee. That just isn't you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that would have been a good spot for a comma! You're right. For $71 you'd expect me to bring home at least a Boing 747, right?

      Delete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover