Sunday, June 12, 2016

Brain Mush

I'm not sure how much sense you’ll get out of me today. I spent three days at the beach this week and it relaxed my brain into mush. Along with the rest of me. My SIL Linda and I met up in Cannon Beach; we had hoped Judy and KK would be with us but alas, they could not come. 

We had a great time flying kites, drinking wine, noshing the day away, and strolling the town. I think the thing we were both most amused by was our stop in the very nice but VERY expensive clothing store, where we found any number of designer clothes made to look like the kind of upcycles we’ve been making with yard sale finds.

(Got an old shirt and a tea towel? Make a new shirt!)


It’s hard impossible not to feel smug when you see a shirt priced at over $200, and you know what you’ve done with stuff that cost fifty cents…or less!

The Thursday before I went to the beach, I noticed an ad for estate sale down in Corvallis (about 30 miles from home) that mentioned it was in a midcentury house, so I decided to check it out. Didn’t buy much, but it was worth the drive to see that house. The owner was an architecture professor at OSU; they said he designed and built it in the early ‘60s. Very cool house. Nope, sorry, didn’t take pictures, I was too busy ogling – and dodging other shoppers. All I came away with was a possibly lifetime supply of piping


a 1959 Architectural Forum


with some cool ads (I want a Honeywell Supervisory DataCenter for my house!)



and theTreasury of Scandinavian Design


chock full of eye candy.


I am swooning over this custom woven drapery. I NEED these!


While I was waiting in line to pay I chatted with Jean, a delightful lady who mentioned being 90 years old. Sharp as the proverbial tack, and on her way to what sounded like a cutthroat bridge game. She loves Department 56 Christmas stuff and had picked up a number of pieces at this sale, so I helped tote three bags up to her car. And ‘up’ is the operative word – the house was built on a hillside and we had come down a number of steps to the entry. Jean was a little concerned about getting back up to the street level, so I asked if there was any alternative. “Oh yes,” they said, glancing at the true little old lady by my side, “we can take you up in the elevator.” And by golly, there was a fabulous wood-paneled three-person elevator that went up to the garage!

As we loaded Jean’s bags into the back of her Honda (yup, she still drives herself!) she said she hoped her children wouldn’t be home when she got there, they keep telling her she has too much of this stuff already. I asked if she still likes it and got an enthusiastic yes. “As long as you get a kick from it, just smile and say you’re spending their inheritance,” I advised. She giggled. We said our goodbyes, and as I drove away I remembered I had passed a sign for another estate sale on my way in, so I headed back there. And who should I see getting out of her car but Jean. We greeted each other like old friends and went in to peruse. 

All I found was the bundt pan I've been wanting, and it was twenty-five cents so I was happy. Jean scored some Hallowe’en decorations (apparently she decorates for all the holidays). We were poking through some ornaments in one of the bedrooms when she turned to me and said, “I would like to invite you to come see my house at Christmas - if I'm still alive.” We both whooped with laughter, probably shocking the other shoppers. I gave her my number and I sure hope she calls me in December. Partly because I want to see what she has spent the kids’ inheritance on, but mostly so I'll know she’s still around.

KK and I made the rounds on that Friday. Didn’t buy much, but one sale was being run by three or four funny ladies about my age and it felt like I had found my tribe. In about twenty seconds we were in one of those rapid-fire conversations that careens from topic to topic and has everyone laughing. I just wanted to settle in for the rest of the day to chat but I suppose they might have wondered about this shopper who came and then wouldn’t leave.

My favorite find of the day came from them. Out on the driveway was a big pile of fat quarters (for you non-sewing folk, that’s a quarter of a yard of fabric that’s ½ the width (usually about 22 inches) by a ½ yard of length) priced at five for a buck. (The fabric store in Cannon Beach sells theirs for $3.50 each, so it was a steal.) Not sure what I'll do with any of these but I love each piece.


And here’s my fave.



Remind you of anyone? 




16 comments:

  1. That last piece of fabric was delightful. It matches so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, can you believe it? Getting that photo has always seemed pretty lucky too.

      Delete
  2. Aw, love the doggie photo. You always get great buys. I gasped at the woven curtains, just fab! Hope you do meet up with Jean again, she sounds like a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I'm going to be holding my breath, waiting for the phone to ring in December!

      Delete
  3. That custom woven drapery is totally awesome...never seen anything like it. i would love that in my home, too. maybe i should try that....perhaps on a window. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind boggles trying to think of how that drapery could have been woven at that size. Some of the vertical lines must be carefully done seams. Stunning!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm ... my knitting machine wants to try a window covering, maybe a tiny bathroom window size. (There is some correlation between the giant expanse of drapery, which I would attempt at a minuscule scale, and the Honeywell DataCenter, whose function I could probably duplicate with my iPhone.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I don't have an iPhone but I thought the same thing about the Honeywell machine.

      I want to see your window covering when it's done. I saw a picture a while back of an ottoman with knitted upholstery, hand knit cables all around. Nice!

      Delete
  5. You meet the best people at sales! It's almost as much fun as the shopping. We went to a community sale on Saturday. I had the best conversations all day long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to your report on your conversations!

      Delete
  6. You write so well. I enjoy your blog every single week. I don't think I've ever told you thank you! So, thank you so very much and please don't go away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't go away either! (And I hope you'll try my novels when you get a chance...)

      Delete
  7. That fabric is awesome - will it be transformed into something for a VSG (very special girl)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I'll use it. That VSG loves to chew up fabric so making something for her might not be the right thing!

      Delete
  8. I'll bet we could attempt a Roman blind similar to those window coverings... I'm thinking it would take some kind of yardage in a very loose weave, then adding embroidery with crewel-weight yarn or twine for the pattern... Start watching those driveways for the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! Are we hanging this masterpiece in your home or mine? It would look great in yours!

      Delete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover