Tuesday, November 22, 2011

At the Grange

Now that we’re running up to the holidays in earnest, I’m expecting fewer and fewer sales on the weekends. Last week’s three day blowout may have been the icing on the 2011 cake. So this Saturday when I saw a Craigslist ad for a flea market being held in the grange hall of a small town about 20 miles east of Salem, I knew we had to go.

IMG_3282

Do you see what’s on that hill? Yup, snow! The seasons sure are different when you move a thousand miles north!

The parking lot was packed, the grange was toasty warm, and full of people. About 25 folks had tables set up, pretty much the kind of wares you’d see at garage sales. Makes total sense if you live out in the country to have your sale this way. We made our way down the aisles, chatting with a few sellers. I glanced at a vintage book on Danish silver, and commented to the seller on how cool some of the pieces in the pictures were. He said something like he wished his grandparents had left him some, but what can you do when they pass away before you ever get a chance to meet them. I summoned all my tact and did not say that this probably was not by their choice!

At the end of the room I paused at a table with hundreds of small round objects. Little turkeys, snowmen, reindeer and other seasonal motifs gazed up at me. Looking closer I realized these were wrapped chocolate-covered mints, each decorated with a paper cutout.

TURKEY-COVERED MINTS!

I asked the lady if she had made them all, and she said she sure had. She said some of them are cut out with a punch, but some she cuts out freehand. The amount of work she has put into them amazed me – and they were twenty-five cents each. I bought a few of the turkeys. How could I not? This lady cut out 5 layers of tail feathers for each one, and varied the order of the colors from mint to mint, and cut out and glued on tiny triangles for the beaks – and then drew on the eyes and details with a pen. I gave a couple to my friend Diana on Sunday, and she immediately held them up to see how they’d work as earrings.

IMG_3297

Not bad actually – but probably would work better without the mint!

IMG_3318

On the last row, a couple of ladies were sharing a long table. The older one had a few pieces of vintage china . when I asked about them she laughed and said she knew they were old because they were given to her about fifty years ago, and she wasn’t going to say how old she was at the time.

WINFIELD CASSEROLE

I seem to like Winfield china! This is the third time I’ve bought some. I wish I knew if it’s safe to actually bake in a casserole dish like this. Or to bake custard in the adorable small lidded bowls? (Missing one lid, dang it.)

WINFIELD COVERED BOWLS

WINFIELD COVERED BOWL

The other lady at this table had mostly Christmas items. In the box of quarter stuff I found this.

IMG_3310   IMG_3311

Hand painted egg! Rooster! Love! And we really need something Oregon-ish on our Christmas tree, right? What could be more Oregon than this?

IMG_3307   IMG_3308

IMG_3309

When we left the nice warm grange hall and headed out into the chilly November day, we decided to drive through town rather than just turn around and go back to the highway, since we’d never been here before. Around a bend in the road we found a thrift store and went in to peruse. I live in hope of finding another fabulous piece of MCM furniture everywhere I go. Didn’t find anything…but I wish I was still young enough – and small enough – to use this.

POGO PONY

It’s called a Pogo Pony, apparently came out in the late Sixties. I bet there were some scarred hardwood floors in the homes that had these puppies! The ads for it said it could gallop, trot, canter, even back up and turn, and the spring-feet actually leave the floor. It must have been a really fun toy. Of course, any kid who had one today would probably be required by law to wear a helmet to ride it!

If I may veer for a moment into shameless self promotion, I’ve got several auctions running this week on eBay, including those Vera napkins some of you like. Auctions end the day after Thanksgiving – please take a look!

 

2 comments:

  1. what, no safety belt on the horse???
    will be taking photos for you to see latest treasure...a little bit more than50 cents but "it spoke to me."
    SNOW????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my beloved pogo pony! I was maybe six or seven when I got this - Sears $24.88 (tracked down the old wishbook). Had to be around 1970 or 71. Took a good while to get the knack of the bounce, but until then, here's how it worked: lean forward with your weight on the pegs, let the back end sort of fall towards the front, lean back to set the back legs firmly on ground and push out with your feet to advance the front legs - repeat. That was great! But when I finally came to understand I could gallop by bouncing and doing all that really quickly - heaven. I was a ballerina of the cavalry charge. Talk about a tom boy. Finally got a proper cowboy hat and rifle. Had to settle for winter boots in July because I couldn't talk them into cowboy boots. I might even lose weight if I ever thought I could ride the pogo pony like that again. Oh, and no helmet, never fell off, did ride in the house, no scratched floors (happily rubberized feet), and no scars otherwise to me or property. Just a deep longing to see this toy again - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover