Sunday, July 12, 2020

It's Not Just Socks!


The garaging momentum is really building. Last week, spent a buck and a half. This week we were up to $3.25! One way and another, All This has probably saved me quite a bit of money. I didn’t buy gas for two months, or go out to eat (still haven’t had any restaurant meals that cost more than four bucks…yay, Taco Bell takeout), and so far this year I've only spent $72 garaging. Last year this time that figure was $183, and two years ago it was over $550!

I was definitely on the prowl for some heavy cotton t-shirts to use for making masks; I've read they make a pretty good filter. So I was pleased to pull a bright green one out of a free box, and found a dark gray 50 one further down the road.


Green and gray turned out to be the day’s color scheme. For a quarter, I brought home a fun wine bottle stopper.


And maybe it can do double duty as a Christmas ornament?


Another free box yielded two quite nice potholders. I can always use another decent potholder.


It was a good day for free stuff. Found a favorite childhood book at my first stop.




 Had a nice chat with the lady there. I remembered being there at a previous sale, and even what I bought, and was able to tell her how much I've liked this little bowl.




Splurged a couple of bucks on a bunch o’ magazines, some gardening and sewing, and all of last year’s Martha Stewarts.




My last stop was another 25 buy – a dog shedding tool I decided to try. For that price, why not? Apparently the resident Australian shepherd had disliked it. Fannie was okay with it, and clearly it did some de-shedding.


But I still like my Furminator better. If you need a really good, sturdy dog grooming tool, it’s the one I’d recommend. But they don't end up on driveways – at driveway prices – very often. It's actually something I bought in a store, but only after a lady at a garage sale was telling me what a great tool it is. So it has garaging roots! I’ll be donating this new one to the humane society thrift store, so I’m sure it will get a good home.

As I left the sale, one of the ladies in charge was crossing the street to her house, and I admired some of her flowers, She asked if I knew the name of them, which I did (echinops, or globe thistle) and she was so happy to finally be able to recall the name that she cut some for me to bring home!



When I got home, I started a load of laundry that included the t-shirts and the potholders. And somewhere between the laundry basket of dirty clothes and the folding of clean things out of the dryer – the gray potholder disappeared! In the two–plus years I've been in this house, I don't think my dryer has eaten anything. Not a single sock has disappeared. And now it seems to have gobbled up a potholder. And dang it, I used the green one this morning, and it's a really good potholder! 

I'm still hopeful it will reappear as mysteriously as it left. Perhaps in the company of socks I never noticed were gone.


3 comments:

  1. All the lists of materials i have looked at have t-shirts low on the list of acceptable materials. Small things go up sleeves and pant legs. You will find it yet. I have spent so little at yard sales this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inside the shirts, I find stuff inside my son's shirts all the time. I miss going to yard sales, maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hobby Horse Hill! I have that book too. I haven't read it because I only bought it like 5 years ago (also from a garage sale, actually), but now I'm more excited for whenever I do get to it.

    And that's a really cool use for those T-shirts, especially the branded one, which probably didn't stand much chance of being worn as a shirt after its first owner anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover