Monday, April 15, 2019

More than a Mend


Judy and I both got excited when we looked at a vintage coat at a sale last Friday. “Look,” she said, “I wonder if someone replaced this lining.”

The coat was a rosy brown wool crepe, very heavy, with raglan sleeves and a pleat in back to give it swing.


The lining did indeed have an indefinable homemade quality to it, though very nicely done, with piping all around. Possibly it was the fabric, a print instead of the usual color-toned heavy satin. I figured this coat must have been such a favorite that the original lining needed replacing.

Since my word for this year is “Mend” I just had to look at the price tag. Four dollars! So I  just had to try it on – and it fit. I have more than one winter coat, but there’s room in my hall closet for another. 

Home with me it came.

When I got home I noticed that the lining was unattached to the coat itself at the hem of the pleat in back. The inside of a garment tells its story, so I peeled back the lining to look at the seams. And quickly realized they were homemade. A commercially made coat as nice as this would most likely have seams with the edges finished in some way. I don’t know, it's hard to describe, but you know it when you see it, and when you don’t.


I kept pulling more of the coat to the wrong side, confirming my guess. I worked my way up to the shoulder pads, which look like something I could have constructed myself. Some woman made this coat; it did not come from a factory. It would have been a huge project and taken enormous skill. She made bound buttonholes (something I've never mastered, or even wanted to - you have to SLASH the fabric before you insert the binding!). 


The buttons are secured on the back with small anchor buttons. The back pleat hangs perfectly. 


Thread belt loops, diagonal pocket flaps.


The top-stitching…I looked more closely. The top-stitching was all done by HAND. Through heavy wool.


Just an old coat, hanging in the hall closet at an otherwise uninteresting estate sale. Unregarded by the dozens of people foraging through the house. Mute testimony to the endeavors of an anonymous, creative woman. She went to a fabric store, and found a pattern she loved, then shopped for just the right fabric. It was more expensive than she’d counted on, so she chose a less expensive lining fabric. Then days or weeks completing all the steps of makery – cutting, pinning, basting, trying on. Adjusting, getting everything just right before sitting down at her old Singer and stitching the seams. Assembling the many pieces: the two sides of the back, inserting the pleat, then the two fronts, with facings and those buttonholes. Each sleeve to be eased into the armhole, buttoned tabs with hand top-stitching to insert into the seams.


 And then repeat it all for the lining, and insert that, outlined with white piping.

I wonder where she wore it, the first time? I hope someone noticed her new coat, and complimented her on it.

I know I probably won't wear this coat often, but I will wear it with admiration. Four dollars for artistry; the least I can do is notice and honor the artist. But I do have one regret.

There was another coat in that closet, also marked $4. And I barely glanced at it.

I wonder if she made that one too?


17 comments:

  1. Isn't it lovely to find something of that quality made by someone at home??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really gave me a thrill! My sewing skills are not of that caliber!

      Delete
  2. You made me cry. I love this tribute, and I hope you enjoy that coat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, if the seamstress/tailor was like my mother, it would have been constructed during the summer in preparation for fall. Which means that heavy wool was sewn in heat without air conditioning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sweltering just thinking about it! Maybe she made it in summer for a teenage daughter who resented having to try it on over and over when it was SO hot outside!

      Delete
  4. What a great find. I truly love the time and effort someone has made to create such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course I would find it just as the weather is turning warm!

      Delete
  5. Perhaps she saw a coat on display that she wanted. Then went home and copied it herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how examining the coat gave you a story about the woman who made it; she sure was skilled, and like you, I hope she was complimented when she wore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Don't you wish all the things we buy second-hand could tell us their stories?

      Delete
  7. I really love your posts, Queen of Fifty Cents! I worry about you when you don't post. I enjoy shopping with you vicariously so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry as well! I'm lost without my fifty cent posts.

      Delete
  8. Hmmm. I thought my name would be posted above. It's Meredith Brody, a longtime fan, although I've never commented before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not gone, I've just been lazy!! Will post SOON!

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover