Tuesday, November 21, 2017

High Contrast

I knew from the addresses programmed into my GPS that we were going to experience a wide variety of residences on Friday. Our first two stops? The golf course/country club neighborhood, and then a mobile home park that has been around since the Fifties.

I probably felt just a leeeetle bit more at home at the second place!

The country club place was ginormous. Let’s put it this way: my house is big but it's built on two levels so it doesn’t seem overly large. That house was also on two levels…each one just a few hundred square feet smaller than my whole place. And only three bedrooms, so you can imagine the size of each. Here’s the foyer, which I'm sure is bigger than my master bedroom!


The floor covering in the kitchen at first glance appeared to be a classic black and white pattern, 


but each dark square had a rose imprinted in it.



Most of the items for sale were, as Judy put it, just not our taste. Especially in the man’s closet – I've never seen so many pastel silk sport coats in one place, and there were a number of silk shirts in wild prints. But I did grab this throw, 


because I noticed immediately it is 100% alpaca. 


An alpaca throw – how luxurious is that? I splurged ten bucks on it, and when I got home I looked up the brand. These things go for $200 to $500! I just love the natural colors.


I kept feeling splurgy, and succumbed to the charms of a Denby Arabesque teapot, cups and saucers.


On my last pass through the kitchen, I picked up a mystery item.


The lady running the sale and I both thought it might be something for brewing coffee, but after we got home, KK figured out its true purpose. It's a wine decanting funnel! Just what I needed!


On we went to the mobile home park, where the entire single-wide abode would have fit inside the foyer and living room at the other house. I didn’t find anything there; picture motorcycle riding leathers and DVDs of guy films. But KK possibly got the deal of the day – a late model Sodastream Jet for three bucks! Just the CO2 canister is worth ten times that amount.


We moved on to more contrast, a 1930’s house in the lovely older neighborhood where the governor’s mansion is located. The same folks had a sale a few months ago and told us they were going to retire to Mexico or Costa Rica or somewhere (my grasp of geography is surpassed only by my leaky memory). So this was the retirement sale, and since they used to be antique dealers we thought it could be interesting. Which it was, although they seemed to think they were still running an antique store, at least from the prices. Some of the items struck us a creepy, 


but there were cute things as well. 


Here’s a good example of both – we thought KK looked ravishing in this headdress, but the taxidermy battle to the death behind her…not so much.


I think they might not have been completely on the same page, since the husband was giving deals because they have to be out of the house by the end of the month, but the wife wasn’t budging on her prices very high prices. The only thing I bought was this, 


and the wife huffed that she didn’t know where her husband was getting his prices because she had been selling them for twice as much. (Couldn’t have sold many, there was an overflowing boxful.) Anyway, I think this is a guinea hen, made of a sturdy wire armature and rope and feathers. 


I just like her. I was thinking if I leave her outside she might grow moss and look cool in the yard. But then I was also thinking she might just disintegrate in the rain, so for now she’s hanging out on top of the coat closet with a vase of dried alliums.



I like the contrast of her texture against the smooth glass vase.

6 comments:

  1. So happy to have refound you, I really do love following your treks to treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're glad you're back!

      In case it slipped by, there's a box at the top of the page to subscribe. New posts come straight to your email inbox. And I don't email anything else, so you're safe!

      Delete
  2. Wish I could glom onto some estate sales but I have to content myself with thrift shops.
    The Mexico couple needs to rethink their pricing ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrifts can be fun too, but you miss that personal element!

      Delete
  3. That was a fun adventure! The duck doll was just creepy.....Funny how people confuse antique store and estate sale.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were more creepy items besides the duck...all priced at several hundred dollars!!

      Delete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover