Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Patched

I should never wait this many days after a garaging foray to write a blog post…I forget too much too quickly! Plus my brain is busy anticipating the trip I’m taking next week. I’m going to New England! Never been to that part of the country before and I can’t wait.

The trip came about because of my last trip, to Washington D.C. My SIL Linda and I were bumped from our overbooked plane, and part of the deal was we got vouchers for a future trip. Or for part of a future trip; turns out the amount they gave us wasn’t enough to go anywhere and get home again. But on the upside, they bumped us to the nonstop flight we’d originally wanted, but was too expensive! So I call that a win.

We’ve booked accommodations through Airbnb, which I’ve used a couple of times before. (BTW, if anyone wants to try using them, if you’ll email me for my code to use when you sign up I’ll get a $25 travel credit. Just sayin’…)

So I’m looking forward to finally seeing New England in the Fall. And how’s this for perfect: my niece who lives in Vermont has just moved to a new apartment and needs furniture and fixings, so we’ll have the perfect excuse to visit thrift stores as we travel around! Anyone have a good one to recommend? Or other places or food or activities we shouldn’t miss?

Judy and I did get to do a little driveway hopping last weekend. Here are the hat pictures to prove it!

Bow in backBow in frontOlé!

She was doing a great job filling up the back seat of the convertible (shelves to put sweaters on; big basket for dog toys, or maybe firewood) while I was enjoying the sunny day but saying “Meh” to everything that was for sale. Until I spotted this bag.

Vera Bradley bag

Yup, Vera Bradley. I love the colors, but I usually stick with a couple of Coach bags I found years ago on driveways (one of them is a Bonnie Cashin bag from the Sixties). But wait, I thought, you’re going on a trip – and this baby would be hold everything you’ll need on the plane and driving around. Besides the two outside pockets,

Front pockets

there are something like six inside.

Inside pockets

It has a bit of an owie on one corner, but I figured I can patch that. And it’s why I was able to buy the bag for two bucks – quite a discount from the retail price!

Ouch!

A couple of stops later we were conversing with a nice lady. She had a large, artsy framed mirror that we both thought was cool – hammered metal design of calla lilies over tooled leather. (Sorry, didn’t get a picture!) “I just love that thing,” she sighed, “but my husband hates it. So I’m finally letting it go.” We shook our heads over husbands and their inexplicable taste (and giggled at each other while we did so). I poked her around her wares and spotted something I figured I could use. I’ve been wanting to make some flannel PJ pants and have been looking for flannel sheets. And she had just what I wanted.

Flannel sheets

Pair of all-cotton sheets for a buck? Mine. Just then, the wind gusted and we heard a crash. The gorgeous mirror had blown over, face down. We all gasped, and the lady hurried over to check it.

“It didn’t break,” I said with utter certainty. And I was right – even though I was not all that certain! She picked up the mirror and we wedged it behind something else so no more errant gusts could grab it. Then she said, “Those sheets are yours. You were my good luck charm!”

Well hey, if you want to give me something I’ll probably say yes. And when we got to the car I realized the sheets are just the right color to make a little patch for my Vera bag.

I can mend itIronically, one of the sheets is itself patched!

Patched sheets

I have a soft spot for mended items. If someone took the trouble to patch something they must have valued it. When I see mending, I see love. So I’m going to love carrying my mended bag next week as I fly east!

7 comments:

  1. welcome to new England it is beautiful here right now.
    I am in central NH but heading to Vermont for the day on Friday which is suppose to be a beautiful day.
    not sure what part of Vermont you are headed to but if you bake king Arthur flour is in Norwich Vermont.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're spending our last 3 nights in Rye, NH! Can't wait to see everything. And yes, I am a baker, might have to put King Arthur on our list!

      Delete
  2. I keep meaning to take a picture or two of my 'loot' as soon as I get home from garage sales because I forget so quickly what I found.
    Lucky lucky you flying to New England in Autumn! When I think of New England I think of Gladys Taber. And that makes me wish I could find more of her books at a gs or a thrift store or SOMEWHERE. Oh well, I'll keep looking. Enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun to have a photo record of your loot! I also keep a spreadsheet record, love to compare what I spent to what something would have cost in a store.

      I've never read Gladys Taber, will have to look for her books!

      Delete
  3. I tried to send this before, but I guess my computer had other ideas. Having just returned from New England on September 30, I read your blog & all was right with the world. Thanks so much for sharing with us. Hope you are enjoying some fantastic fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our trip was fabulous! Great fall colors and two women laughing their heads off over all our silly remarks - doesn't get any better!

      Delete
  4. Great scorw on the bag! So glad the mirror didn't break.

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover