Saturday, January 8, 2011

2011…Thrifting Heaven?

Lo, the holidays are over and done, and yard sales begin anew. How can it fail to be a banner thrifting year when the first driveway score is a frog

IMG_9915 with freckles on his kneesIMG_9918 from Costa RicaIMG_9916 signed by the artist?IMG_9917 I think this frog will enjoy hanging out with the others I’ve found on OC drivewaysIMG_9923 and really, with the whole gang.IMG_9924 Actually, the first score of the year came from a thrift store. We went up to LA on Thursday to go to the art museum and eat ethnic food (Ethiopian for lunch, Thai for dinner). Perused a few thrift stores that we’ve passed several times and never stopped at. I remain confirmed in my belief that the real deals are on driveways, but Steven spotted one thing we had to have. Another lamp.IMG_9929Fabbo, yes? It has its original stickers still which proclaim it to be a Sight Light, and it swivels in a complete circle. Price was higher than my normal range, but I knew if we didn’t get it we’d regret it, and I do try to live without regrets.

Had a nice conversation with a lady named Liz who works with at-risk teens. Her extremely self-possessed and charming teenage daughter made numerous deals while we chatted. We ended up talking about different learning styles and she mentioned that a lot of her students are more auditory learners. So I told her about the downloadable audiobooks on my library’s website. She was thrilled—she can download a book to her classroom computer for free and have the kids listen as a class. She said she played a recording of Tom Sawyer before Christmas and was amazed at the discussion that ensued.

Hmmm, must remember to put this on my monthly report as an outreach contact!

‘Twasn’t a very doggy morning, but here is Paxson.IMG_9908He is a labradoodle who missed the curly hair gene. Wish I had gotten a picture of a dog I saw being walked. It must have been a bulldog/terrier mix. Bulldog body and head with wiry hair. The one kitty I saw kept being chased away by an annoying seven year old girl every time I reached for my camera.

Spent five bucks this morning, and besides the frog vase I came home with 7 CDs,IMG_9919one of which will be a gift for a music loving friend (you know who you are, Marcia). There’s a Pink Floyd in there that I got for my hubs, who was excited to see it. It’s so nice when you can bring happiness for twenty five cents.

He also gets today’s clothing score. We were in a trendy shop the other day (I know, doesn’t sound like me) with a mix of new and vintage clothing. They had a whole rack of men’s new Pendleton shirts that we were admiring, but the close-to-$100 price tags, not so much. Don’t worry, I told him, I will find you Pendletons this year. And I did.IMG_9910Brand new. No tags, I think it was a gift. Guy told me it didn’t fit him. It was hanging from the garage door next to an ugly black jacket, and I managed not to crack up when he said the Pendleton was two bucks, but the jacket was $10 because it was a Dickies. Which can be bought new for about a third of what a Pendleton shirt costs. Go figure.

Picked up a Tin Man doll for my children’s literature toys collection IMG_9925 and literally a bag of crepe paper streamers.IMG_9920 I figure children’s librarians can always use these, so I asked how much for all of them. One dolluh. Yup. There were so many she had to go get a bigger bag to hold them. Counted when I got home—36 rolls. Woo hoo!

In the category of Things I Didn’t Buy we have this original oyl painting.IMG_9905 That’s a caterpillar she has her nose by. Didn’t want you to think it was something else.

And the comment that made my day? Stopped at a sale and it turned out to be the lady I bought my wonderful wire Christmas tree from. We chatted about this and that while I browsed. When I left she told me, “Come and visit any time. I really enjoy your stories!”

18 comments:

  1. Love the frog vase and the great finds. I didn't see any yard sales here yet. Maybe soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. pendleton as trendy??? Well I gues it depends on where you live. Because they are everywhere here. women's and men's. Maybe I should hit ebay ha.
    great finds
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops typos, anywhoos...found a Pendleton shirt with the tags all attached at the local Goodwill, hoping it does well.

    I like your blog and have a similar one, please check it out, Thanks!

    Dude@MoneyintheGarage.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was expecting a few after Christmas decorations. Nice finds. I remember when a pendleton shirt was all the rage. If you had a boyfriend he would let you wear his. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the frog!! And the tin man.. actually I am smitten with the idea of a literature inspired toy collection. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to hear when people find things they are thrilled with. It's nice to know that in today's times we can still go out, spend a few hours and a few bucks and have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! The remark from the guy about the Pendleton was too funny ... if he only knew. Yes, Pendletons are still trendy ... but it depends on who you are, where you're from, and how old you are! I guess that can be said about everything ... Not much in garage sales this weekend, but I'm waiting with ants in my pants for future Saturday mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in another place where Pendleton is common and low priced. Your
    near $100" amazed me. Hubs wears his working in the fields and on construction sites. Guess I'll be more diligent in my patching.
    The sight lamp reminds me of my grandfather, an engineer, and his drafting desk.
    It is the frog that steals the show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing finds! I love that lamp and frog, especially!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the vase and lamp; oh, and the tin man! Very cool. Pendleton is always a sure bet. They've been around forever and their stuff is always a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that lamp too,fabulous! I need to investigate Pendleton more, keep hearing about it from other people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's to a new year of Yard Sale treasures! Looks like you are already off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That lamp is terrific! I love Pendleton shirts. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really miss yard sales in the winter. Michigan just isn't really into them for some reason! hehe I really like finding name brand things @ yard sales & thrift stores. I bought a dress @ GW for 6.99 that still had it's 99.99 price tag on it! Yea me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW I don't think I've ever seen a labradoodle w/o curly hair-looks just like a lab :) Lots of good finds glad you didn't buy the girl sniffing the caterpillar

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover