Sunday, September 7, 2008

LET'S ALL STAND UP IN OUR MARY JANES!


Hey, I'm so glad you all are liking my fabric shoes! I'm actually looking forward to going back to work Tuesday (took the week off to recover from summer reading) so I can wear them.

Cathy asked about the pattern...I had to size up the pattern on the Mary Engelbreit site since I have large, wide feet. I printed out the pattern and then enlarged it on a photocopier. I made the sides a bit deeper on the second pair (large wide feet with high instep!). For the strap I made a fabric tube with a bit of elastic inside, which is sewn into the seam when you sew the top and lining together. A vintage button anchors the strap on the outside. I just sewed that down, since the elastic in the strap makes it easy to slip the shoe on and off.

When all the sewing was done, I hot glued the leather sole onto the outside. If you make some, please be aware that hot glue stays very hot on fabric! It doesn't cool off almost immediately like it does on hard surfaces, so be careful. You can really burn the crap out of your fingers. I glued about an inch at a time around the edge, pressing down with a table knife, though next time I think I'll use a bamboo skewer that I can throw away. Got pretty much all the glue off the knife; it's the kind of thing you don't really want to have to explain to your husband!

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog. I love your shoes. I'm gearing up to some stitchery projects (I usually just knit) and those MJ's are mighty tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there-thanks for stopping by!! Love you also are into yard sales (we call them boot sales in the UK), with our weather though, we may not get many in by the end of the season:-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness those shoes are amazing!!
    I don't have those kinds of sewing skills, lol my machine jams more times than it works!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those shoes! So glad I found you...or did you find me? LOL
    I'm savin' you to my list so I can come back again! gotta go now - as I'm gonna check out your older posts...love ...Pam

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover